SFA Lite is comprised of 2 parts, each 90 minutes duration. The programme teaches the skills needed to identify someone who may be thinking about suicide and to pass the person onto a suicide first aider.
Part 1 – 90 minutes
· Introduction to the session; programme, ourselves and suicide prevention
· Stigma and survivors of bereavement by suicide and the Hidden Toll
· Suicide thoughts and suicide behaviour
· Intention of behaviour versus outcome of behaviour
· Possible causes of suicide thoughts
· Suicide – the ripple effect
Part 2 – 90 minutes
· ‘I’m really glad you told me’ audio visual
· Suicide Safety Guidance
· Recognising and asking about suicide
· Referring a person onto suicide first aiders
Suicide First Aid Lite (Virtual) training offers learning outcomes that are knowledge based and factual. This training can be used as a stand-alone programme or as the first part of a journey to learn suicide prevention skills.
The one-day programme Suicide First Aid through Understanding Suicide Interventions is a City & Guilds qualification programme and the next step for people wanting a more in-depth practise-based approach to the learning. The information in SFALV is easy to grasp for people of all skill levels and those with no prior knowledge of the subject. It is designed to meet the needs of virtual groups and could be used as a forerunner to the one-day Suicide First Aid Programme.